If you typically only get one or two mild sinus infections per year, then home remedies may be your best option. However, they won’t solve any long-term underlying issues that cause chronic sinus infections.
Home remedies include:
- Staying hydrated - since our bodies are mostly water, they work best when hydrated properly. Getting enough fluid when sick can help your body's immune system function.
- Breathing in steam or mist - taking in either steam or mist through the nose can help break up mucus blockages and reduce swelling. Taking a hot shower or utilizing a humidifier are two ways to produce steam or mist.
- Sinus Rinse or Neti Pot - like steam, a sinus rinse can also help clear blockages. Sinus rinses can cause damage, so make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions precisely when using one.
Like home remedies, medications will help clear up any sinus pain symptoms you may be having but they won’t get rid of any underlying causes. Some medications include:
- Antibiotics - antibiotics are the best way to clear up bacterial sinus infections but won’t typically help with any other types.
- Decongestants - decongestants are used to reduce swelling to allow mucus to drain. Once natural drainage is restored, the body can begin the natural healing process. Decongestants can come in sprays, pills, and liquids.
- Corticosteroids - corticosteroids work like decongestants but unlike decongestants, some corticosteroids can be used long-term.
Traditional Sinus Surgery
If you’re suffering from chronic sinus issues and want long-term relief, sinus surgery may be the answer. Problems that sinus surgery can fix include:
- Deviated septum - when the cartilage that divides the nose is shifted to one side.
- Closed nasal passages - can be caused by structural issues in the nose.
- Nasal polyps - growths in the nose that can cause drainage issues.
While sinus surgery is effective at providing patients with long-term relief, it often includes incisions and the removal of bones and tissue. We also offer less invasive long-term treatment options at Tampa Bay Breathe Free.
Balloon Sinuplasty: Long-Term Sinus Pain Relief
Balloon Sinuplasty is a long-term treatment option for chronic sinus pain that doesn’t involve the pains of traditional surgery. It’s been FDA approved since 2005 and it’s covered by most insurances. It’s safe, effective, and life changing.